Southington Water
(860) 628-5593
605 West Queen St, Southington, CT 06489
Mon-Fri 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM

Rules and Regulations



The original water works in the Town of Southington, here-in-after (Town) was constructed by a private Corporation in 1883-1884. In 1911, the Southington Water Works Department, here-in-after (Department) was purchased by the Town. The Department is governed by a Board of Water Commissioners, here-in-after (Board) consisting of six members, three of whom are elected at each biennial Town election, for a term of four years.






 P.O. BOX 111


Office Hours 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.

Monday through Friday

Office Telephone (860) 628-5593

Emergency Telephone – after office hours (860) 628-5593





The following rules and regulations shall constitute a contract with every person or property owner whose property is supplied with Town water and every person or property owner who uses the service, and shall therefore imply their expressed consent.



  1.  Metered Services

    Water bills for all metered services are rendered quarterly. Large volume customers may be billed monthly at the discretion of the Department.

  2. Property Owner Responsible for Water Bills

    Property owners will be liable for all charges accruing for water service until written notice is given to the Department to discontinue to supply.

    At its discretion, the Department may, upon written request from the property owner, render water bills to their tenants. In all cases, however, the property owner shall be held liable for payment of charges due for water supplied to such premises, and shall be held responsible for all violations of rules by their tenants. 

  3. Changes of Address or Ownership to be Reported 

    Property owners are responsible for all water bills, and are required to report promptly to the office of the Department any change in mailing addresses or ownership, in order to ensure proper rendering of bills. The failure of a property owner to receive any bill shall not relieve him from the obligation of its payment or from payment of penalties incurred from non-payment. In the event the property changes ownership, the new property owner will be responsible for any outstanding balances of the prior owner(s). 

  4. Penalty for Non-Payment of Water Bills 

    A past due notice will be mailed and a 1.5% per month late charge will be assessed, when a water bill is unpaid past the 30th of the month. When a water bill is unpaid 60 days past its original bill date, a shut-off notice will be mailed with a termination date of no less than 15 days.  If payment is not received by the termination date, the Department shall have the right to shut off water service to the property. 

  5.  Collections

The Board shall have the right to take appropriate action to collect outstanding bills, which may include institution cost of collection including reasonable attorney fees.



  1. Application for Service

    All applications for new services must be made by the owner of the premises to be supplied, or by the duly authorized agent of said property owner, on blank forms on file at the Administrative offices of the Department, stating fully and fairly the various uses for which water is to be supplied.

  2. Service Pipes in Highways to Be Installed by a licensed contractor.

    New service pipes and renewals of old service pipes, from main to curb stop, will be installed by a licensed contractor (P-1 or P-7) AND MUST BE INSPECTED  BY DEPARTMENT PERSONNEL PRIOR TO BACKFILLING THE EXCAVATION. All service line installations must comply with the latest revision of “Service Information and Specifications,” which is available at the Department office. Digging, backfilling and replacement of pavement to be arranged by the owner.

    The Department will not install a corporation stop (tap) in a water main without proof of appropriate Town or State highway permits, Also, contractors working within a Town road/highway must be recognized as a Town Licensed Contractor. (Contact Town of Southington Engineering Department for details)    

    The Tap fee for service connection and any connection charges shall be paid at the time of making the application.

  3. Service Pipes Beyond Curb Valve

    Service pipes beyond the curb valve will be laid by a licensed contractor (P-1 or P-7). All service line installations must comply with the latest revision of “Service Information and Specifications,” which is available at the Department, AND MUST BE INSPECTED BY DEPARTMENT PERSONNEL PRIOR TO BACKFILLING THE EXCAVATION.

  4. Separate Services Required for Each Building

    Except under the unusual circumstances, and then only with the consent of the Department, no service pipe shall be used to supply water for more than one separate building or premise. Any non-conforming service existing now, shall upon renewal, be made to conform to the above regulation.

  5. Interconnection of Service Prohibited

    Individual properties may receive their water supply through one or more than one service pipe, but interconnection of these pipes will not be permitted without special approval of the Department.

  6. Cross Connections Prohibited

    All service pipes must be installed and connected to conform with section 19-13-B37 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies (RCSA) as follows: no physical connection between the distribution system of a public water system and that of any other water supply shall be permitted, unless such other water supply is of safe sanitary quality and the interconnection of both is approved by the State Department of Public Health. No Officer, Board, Corporation or other person or group of persons, owning, managing or controlling any public water system, shall provide new service to a site where any person, firm or corporation either maintains such connection or is not in compliance with Section 19-13-B38a of the RCSA at this location. Upon written order by the local Health Department or Department of Public Health, an officer, Board, Corporation or other person or group of persons, owning, managing or controlling any public water system, shall terminate existing water service to a site where any person firm or Corporation either maintains such connection or is not in compliance with Section 19-13-B38a of the RCSA at this location.”

    As of February 6, 1992, any future customer with an existing or proposed private well must abandon their well in accordance with Section 25-128-57 of the State of Connecticut Well Drilling Code.

    Any existing service that was tapped before February 6, 1992 may retain an existing well for outside use if they agree to completely separate the well plumbing from the public water plumbing and agree to allow the Department to inspect their plumbing at least once every five years to ensure that the appropriate backflow device as stated in section 19-13-B38a of the RCSA has been maintained.  

  7. Booster Pumps

    Individual booster pumps are to be used as a special provision in specific individual cases where the building to be served is an excessive distance from the street main or its elevation precludes adequate water pressure, and, there is at least 25 psi in the street main. Individual Booster pumps require a backflow preventer installed on the inlet side of the booster pump. The Department shall determine what type of backflow preventer is installed. 

  8. Supplies to Pools and Tanks                                                                    

    Piping systems supplying swimming pools or other tanks in which water may become contaminated shall be so arranged as to preclude water re-entering the distribution system and shall in each case be approved by the Department.

  9. Combined Fire and Domestic Services Prohibited 

    The installation of combined fire and domestic services will not be permitted without special approval of the Department. (See the Departments Service Information and Specifications

  10. Shut-Off to Be Provided                  

    An approved valve that meets Department Specifications must be installed and maintained in good condition on the service pipe immediately after its entry into the building, except in such cases where special permission is given to install elsewhere.

  11. Maintenance of Service Pipes                                      

    The Department shall own and maintain all service connections located in Town-accepted public streets or properly executed and recorded easements from the connection at the main, up to and including the curb valve. The owner shall own and maintain, at their expense, the service pipe from the curb valve, to the water meter in the premise, and shall keep same in good condition in accordance with the requirements of the Department.

    When there is a leak in any service pipe and the owner of the property cannot be readily found or, refuses to make immediate repairs, the Department has the right to make the necessary repairs and the cost thereof shall be charged to the customer.

  12. Abandoned Services                                                                                                                           

    In case a service pipe is abandoned, the Department reserves the right to disconnect such service pipe at the main. If, after such abandoned service has been disconnected at the main by the Department, water service is again requested by the property owner, the property owner must follow the same procedure as is required for a new service.

  13. Service Leaks

As of June 6, 1991, a customer's service* that fails when the pressure has been substantially increased due to new construction, main renewal upgrading and distribution improvements, within a six (6) month period (Starting on the day that the service pressure was increased due to these improvements), the customer will be held harmless of cost restoration of their service. The sole determination in the case of a dispute would be decided by the Board. (*Service to be defined as between the curb valve and the water meter.)




  1. Services Which Require Meters 

    A meter will be installed on each new service and water billed for at the regular metered rates. 

  2. Application for Service.

    When a property owner signs the Department application for service, the Department will furnish and set a meter of suitable capacity. The property owner will be billed for all necessary materials and labor for setting the meter. The Department reserves the right to require a deposit to cover the expense of setting the meter.   

  3. Meter Location To Be Approved By Department                      

    Meters are to be set inside a building as close as possible to the curb valve, such location shall at all times be accessible and free from obstruction and available for reading, inspection and replacement during Department working hours. If there is no suitable location available within a building the property owner shall provide an approved meter well at a location designated by the Department. No meter will be set or water turned on unless the location for the meter has been approved by the Department. 

  4. Maintenance of Meters

    The Department shall designate the size and type of meter to be installed on any service and will furnish and maintain the meter without charge except in case of loss, misuse, or damage by freezing, hot water or external causes. The expense of replacement or repair will be billed to the property owner

  5. By-Pass and Back Water Valves                                                       

    By-pass pipes around a meter are only permitted at the discretion of the Department. Unapproved by-pass lines shall be removed immediately at the cost of the owner. All new services shall have Department approved valves on the inlet and outlet side of the meter.

  6. Testing of Meters                                                                                           

    Upon request by the property owner and payment in advance of a fee determined by the Board, the Department will test the accuracy of the meter installed on the service. A meter found to be registering within the limits of error specified by the State of Connecticut, Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA), the above fee shall be retained by the Department. If, however the meter is found to be registering in excess of the limits of error specified above, the fee shall be returned to the property owner. Additionally, a rebate will be made to the property owner on the basis of excess registration in accordance with the rules of State of Connecticut, Public Utilities Control Authority.

  7. Estimated Bill Rendered If Meter Fails To Register 

    If a meter fails to register, a bill will be generated based on the average usage of the three previous quarters for the same period in three previous years.

  8. Services With More Than One Meter

If two or more meters are required for the same premises and a separate bill is required for each meter, the Department reserves the right to charge the established quarterly metered rate for each meter.



  1. Inspection of Customer’s Premises

    The Department or any duly authorized agent shall have the right at all reasonable times to enter any dwelling, house, or other premises where the water is supplied, or connection made with the Town water system, to install, read,  inspect or repair meters, fixtures, and make inquiries pertaining to the use of said water as they shall deem necessary.  

  2. Unauthorized Tapping of Mains, Opening Fire Hydrants or Interference with Gates Valves Prohibited. 

    No person except an authorized representative of the Department will be allowed to tap mains or distributing pipes, insert corporation stop, therein, set or remove meters on service pipes or interfere with gate valves and curb valves, except in special cases, after obtaining permission from the Department. 

    No person, except firefighters for the use of the Southington Fire Department under the direction of the proper officer shall open any public fire hydrant without the consent of the Department. 

  3. No Liability For Interruption In Service 

    The intention of the Department is to give notice, as far as possible in advance of any work which must be done, that will interrupt the supply of water. Such notice is to be considered a courtesy and not a requirement on the part of the Department. In case of a break in pipelines, water will be shut off at any time without notice. No responsibility will be assumed for any damage to any apparatus in any house or building due to shutting off of water without notice either for repairs on account of a break in pipelines or other necessary operations, or by leakage from breaks in any mains, pipes or connections thereto. 

  4. Extensions of Water Mains 

    Property owners or customers requesting necessary extensions of water distribution mains shall be required to pay the actual costs of such extensions up to and including eight (8) inch distribution mains.  The size and type of mains to be installed will be determined by the Department. Hydrants will be set approximately 300 feet apart in business and industrial districts and 500 feet apart in residential districts, unless specified by the Department. 

    The Board reserves the right to refuse to make an extension in any area where it would not be possible to maintain satisfactory service to the proposed customers. 

    Property owners or customers will be required in advance of construction, to deposit with the Board the cost of such extensions, as estimated by the Department. Upon the completion of such extensions the actual construction costs will be determined and adjustments shall be made, either by increasing or decreasing monies paid to the Board. In the event that the Board deems it necessary those distribution mains larger than eight (8) inches be installed, the adjustments shall be based on the cost of materials of an equivalent length of eight (8) inch main

    Whenever the Department shall install in any Town accepted highway an extension for the general purpose of strengthening the system or an extension which, in the opinion of the Board, will serve the best interests of the town as a whole and when such extension has not been entirely paid for by property owners or customers who may be served by such extension the owner of any property may be allowed to have his service connections from said main upon payment of a connection charge in addition to the regular service connection charge, unless such owner or his predecessor in title to said property shall have entered into any contract for such extension and connection.  

    The connection charge shall be computed from a base cost equal to one-half of the per foot cost to be arrived at by dividing the total cost of such extension by the length thereof, unless a main larger than eight inches in diameter shall have been installed, in which event the “base cost” shall be determined by the cost of the construction of and equivalent length of eight-inch main.  The connection charge shall be determined by multiplying the final base cost per foot by the minimum width (frontage) of a legal lot in the zone wherein said property is located, as determined by the zoning ordinance, for each service installed if such installation shall be to a residence; if said installation shall be to property used for commercial or industrial purposes the connection charge shall be the total frontage of record multiplied by the final base cost per foot, in which event only the regular service connection charge shall be made for any future connections to the same property.  As of September 1, 1988, the determination of the required length and size of an extension shall in all cases be made by the Board, but in general, shall be based on the following principles:  (a) the terminal point of extensions laid in streets not within a development shall be the property line beyond the last customer to be served by the extension:  (b) if the extension is laid in streets within a development or subdivision, it shall include all mains required to cover houses to be served by the extension plus any Main required to connect dead-ends created within the development or subdivision at intersecting streets and cul-de-sacs. It will be at the Board’s discretion to allow a dead-end if the Board deems it is physically impossible to loop the  Main at a cul-de-sac.  Dead-ends created at cul-de-sacs shall be provided with hydrants or blow-offs suitable for flushing the entire length of the deadend and at the Board’s option a water main easement shall be deeded to the Board that will provide access from the cul-de-sac to any property or to any existing or proposed street that adjoins the development or subdivision.

  5. Penalties

    The non-compliance or failure of any customer to observe any of the rules or regulations of the Department will be sufficient cause for shutting off the water supply to the property. Whenever the water supply is shut off from any service for non-payment or violation of the rules and regulations of the Department, no person other than a Department employee will be allowed to turn water on at either a corporation or curb valve.

  6. Connection Charges 

In lieu of the standard bidding process, where a connection charge for the installation of a water mains is based on a foundation of the bidding process, the Board shall have the option, in its sole judgment when requested by the developer/property owner to establish a particular connection charge based upon previous bid figures accepted by the Board for similar construction as determined by the Superintendent of the Department. At the time the developer /property owner requests a waiver of the standard bidding process, the Department shall calculate the proposed connection charge to be established in lieu of the bidding process, and upon approval of the Board the predetermined connection charge shall become the actual connection charge for the job in question for all purposes, including charges for connection to the water line by any such property owner.

The Board reserves the right to revise the Rules and Regulations as may be found expedient.



Unless the context specifically indicates otherwise, the following terms and phrases, as used in these regulations, shall have the meanings hereinafter designated:

BACKFLOW:   The reverse flow of any liquid or substance in the distributing pipes of a public water supply from backflow.

BOOSTER PUMP:  A pump used to increase or boost water pressure.

BYPASS:  An arrangement of pipes, conduits, gates, or valves by which the flow may be passed around a meter, backflow preventer, treatment process or other appurtenance.

CONTRACTOR:  A person holding a valid State of Connecticut license to perform the installation of water lines as defined by the state Board for Plumbing and Piping Examiners, Department of Consumer Protection.

CORPORATION STOP:  A valve for joining a service pipe to a water main.  It cannot be operated from the surface.  Also called a corporation cock.

CROSS CONNECTION:  An actual or potential connection between a public water system and any other source or system through which it is possible to introduce into the water system any contamination or polluting agent.

CURB BOX:   A vertical pipe or casting with a cover place over the curb stop and extending to the ground surface to allow access to the valve.

CURB VALVE:   A shutoff valve on the water service pipe to an Owner’s premises.  The location of the curb stop shall be designated by the Department.  It is operated only by the Department to start or stop flow in the Owner’s service pipe.

CUSTOMER:   Any person, firm, corporation, company, association, governmental unit, tenant, or owner of property furnished water service by the Department.

D.P.H.:  The State of Connecticut Department of Public Health.

DOMESTIC SERVICE:  A service pipe which is used to provide customary residential, commercial, or industrial consumptive water usage, exclusive of fire protection,

EASEMENT:  An interest in land owned by a person or legal entity that entitles the Southington Water Department to a specific limited use.

FIRE FLOW: The actual hydraulic capability of the existing water distribution system, usually measured in gallons per minute that can be delivered at a specified residual pressure for the purpose of firefighting.

FIRE HYDRANT:  An appurtenance connected to a water main or fire line provided with the necessary valves and outlet nozzles to which a fire hose may be attached.

FIRE SERVICE:   A service pipe used exclusively for fire protection purposes.

FRONTAGE:  The front part of a piece of property, or the land adjacent to a water main or proposed water main. A direction to which the property faces the water main or proposed water main.

INSPECTOR:  The authorized representative of the Department who is responsible for inspection of the repair or installation of all water mains, service pipes, and appurtenances.

MAIN(S):  A water pipe which is used for the purpose of transmission or distribution of water but is not a water service pipe.

METER:  Any device for measuring the quantity of water used.

METER PIT:  A subsurface enclosure that protects water meters installed on the outside of buildings.

OWNER:  The person, persons, or legal entity holding title to the property or premises connected or proposed to be connected to the public water system.

OWNER’S SERVICE PIPE:  That portion of the service pipe from the curb stop to the water meter in the premise.

POTABLE:  Suitable for drinking.

PREMISES:  Shall include, but is not limited to, the following:

  1. A single dwelling unit or commercial/industrial building in one common enclosure, under common ownership, occupied by one family as a residence, one Corporation or firm as a place of business, or one educational or institutional entity, or
  1. Each unit of a multi-family residence building with the separate ownership for each unit or multi-unit commercial/industrial buildings with separate ownership for each unit, or
  1. Each unit of a multi-unit building in one common enclosure, under common ownership, with the potential to be subdivided or converted to separate ownership of each unit, or,
  1. Each individual public building in a multi-building complex with the potential to be subdivided or converted to separate ownership of each unit, or,
  1. Each individual public building within either a privately or governmentally owned facility complex, including, but not limited to, health care facilities, public service facilities and educational institutions.
  1. A single plot of land in one common enclosure, used as a park, recreational area, or cemetery.

PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE:  A valve for reducing water pressure to a preset value.

PUBLIC WATER SUPPLY:  The system of water sources, treatment facilities and distribution mains owned, operated and maintained by the Southington Water Department.

PURA:   Public Utilities Regulatory Authority

REGISTER:  The part of the meter that displays the volume of water that has flowed through a meter.

REMOTE METER READING SYSTEM:  A register that is installed and can be read at a location some distance from where the meter is located.

SERVICE CONNECTION:   The service pipe from the main to the curb stop and such other valves, fittings, etc., as the Department may require at or between the main and the curb stop.  All service connections shall include a curb stop.

SERVICE PIPE:  The pipe that runs from the water main to the premises, including fire services.

SIAMESE CONNECTION:  An inlet equipped with one or more couplings to which a fire hose can be attached and through which water can be delivered by a fire department pumper to a sprinkler system.

SPRINKLER SYSTEM:  A plumbing system designed to spray a water source for fire protection, irrigation, or cooling.

TAPPING:  The process of connecting new water pipes to existing water mains.

VALVE:  A mechanical device installed in a pipeline to control the amount of direction of water flow.

VALVE BOX:  A metal or concrete box or vault set over a valve stem at ground surface to allow access to the operating nut so the valve can be opened or closed.





The Department is currently seeking candidates for a Water Treatment Foreman.

Must possess a Water Treatment IV License

Please contact the Office Supervisor for details - (860) 628-5593.


Don't Show Again